I recently published a post about Networking Tips for Success where I shared my key 3 benefits of networking.
Selecting the right networking events and ensuring that your networking is effective is key to the growth of your business. You need to attend events where you are going to meet, or be referred to, potential customers.
It’s nice to go out everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner but as well as affecting your cash flow…and your waistline, it will also affect your availability to carry out your work or simply be a waste of your time out of the office.
Sometimes it difficult to attend a networking event once, or even choose the right one to go to, and be able to make an informed decision whether it is right for you and your business.
The following 7 tips may help you:
- Ask someone to recommend an event or networking group to you. Ideally, one that they have found effective. Ask if you can go along with them;
- If you are attending an event for the first time, speak to the host in advance and ask them more details about the event, the type of people who attend, the format and if they can introduce you to people;
- Ensure that you speak to as many people as possible while you are there and find out how they have benefited from attending;
- Do some preparation in advance and think about your particular goals for attending the event and what you want to achieve as an outcome. Be specific…”I would like to meet 3 new business contacts“;
- Make some notes as soon as you get back to the office… when it is fresh in your mind. Ask yourself some questions such as “Did I meet any good contacts?”, “Did I enjoy the event“, “Would I recommend it to someone else?”;
- Keep an ongoing record of events you attend and more importantly the cost of attending. Ensure that you monitor the cost versus benefit.
- Have fun and enjoy your networking.
Sandra Garlick, Business Consultant, Adviser & Mentor
Copyright © Sandra Garlick 2016